Saturday, February 4, 2012

Vulcan Found

A "super earth" was recently discovered just 22 light years away orbiting in the habitable zone of a red dwarf that's part of a triple-star system.


Apparently, due to the infrared light of the red dwarf, the planet takes on a reddish hue. It's also 4.5 times larger than the Earth, ensuring that whatever beings living there are physically stronger than us - just like Vulcans.

Even if it's not Vulcan, the cool takeaway for me from this article is that planets may develop under more varied conditions and that there could be a lot more planets out there than initially thought. If only I could pull a Fry and wake up in the future to see what we discover. I'd live on Newt Gingrich's moon-base and society would gawk at me for my offensive old-timer ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment