Monday, February 20, 2012

Schrödinger's Red Herring - Weekly Trivia!

This was probably the toughest physics question yet: it's one thing to know the basics of quantum mechanics, but it's a whole other deal having to also remember who came up with what. In this case, Greene credits Richard Feynman with the revolutionary thinking that the electron goes through both slits in the double slit experiment. Congrats to Matt-O for claiming this week's bragging rights!

I noticed that the other two responses were for Erwin Schrödinger, and I'm not surprised. His popular thought experiment - Schrödinger's Cat - dealt with another duality (the cat being both alive and dead with the box unopened). Seeing that kind of thinking would have made me guess ol' Easy E. Schrödingy myself, but Ricky Feyn came up with the thinking here, sans feline.


This week I'm going to make a departure from physics to honor the life and career of one of baseball's greatest catchers, Gary Carter.  One of the most likeable players in baseball, "Kid" was an 11-time All-Star, a World Series winner, and an inductee to the Hall of Fame in 2003. He died at just 57 years of age after a battle with brain cancer.

My question: Which of the following teams did Gary Carter NOT play for?
  • Los Angeles Dodgers
  • San Francisco Giants
  • Toronto Blue Jays
  • New York Mets
  • Montreal Expos
---
Lastly - as if the Gary Carter news isn't depressing enough - I wanted to let all my TDZ acolytes know that my postings may be more infrequent over the next few months due to my work schedule and pursuit of personal goals. I will absolutely continue to do trivia every week, but longer length mind-blowing TDZ articles will probably be fewer and farther between. You can still expect such gems as the All-Kevin Love Team 2k12, NHL Playoff Smorgasbord, and TDZ's Fantasy Baseball Toolkit, though, so keep on checking in from time to time!

No comments:

Post a Comment