Monday, August 8, 2011

Rando TDZ Soccer Update - Goo Goo Ga Ga Edition

Not to be remiss in my coverage of the beautiful game, there were a few interesting news stories in the soccer world recently...




We all saw this coming following a disappointing Gold Cup Final in which the U.S. lost handily to Mexico on U.S. soil. Bradley was never accepted by many fans; in fact, there is a Facebook group and website (taken down) dedicated to getting him fired, but U.S. Soccer Federation President Sunil Gulati did give him a solid a chance to show what he could do with these players. It wasn't good enough.

With Bradley's dome out of the picture the U.S. has turned to the blonde locks of Juergen Klinsmann. The Golden Bomber became one of my favorite soccer players in 1994 with some thrilling goals in the World Cup that year. I remember seeing him pull off some amazing volleys over his career and I used to try replicating them in my back yard growing up. He's stated that he plans on implementing a more attacking style, which is great to hear because the U.S. team has been lagging behind other countries in terms of offensive production for as long as I can remember. I'm excited to see how the team fares in the coming years.




No, I did not read this on The Onion, Real Madrid really is robbing the cradle. The kid's name is Leonel Angel Coira, and he seeks to model his game after Lionel Messi's. I'm pretty sure when I was 7 years old my goals in life were to play Nintendo and not poop my pants. 

I haven't found any reports on the amount or terms of the contract, but it's incredible how far recruiting is going these days. Aside from a Dutch club signing a one year old for publicity, this is the youngest signing I've ever heard about. Perhaps we're not so far off from fetus recruiting.



Alex Morgan owns Tony Realli

Check out Alex Morgan with the left-footed strike in this recreational game against the Around the Horn host. What's Stat Boy doing out there?!


No comments:

Post a Comment